Friday 8 March 2013

The Best Tiramisu. I Promise.

I love tiramisu.  There is something so deliciously indulgent about the mixture of coffee-and-booze-soaked spongy biscuits, dollops of thick creamy yumminess and a generous topping of cocoa.  So when we had a dinner party last night I decided to indulge my (not so hidden) glutton.  


However, there was a hitch in the plan.  This part of SA is notorious for spontaneous, as well as scheduled, power-cuts and I am never prepared (the laptop and chargeable torches are always dead, the washing is always just starting a cycle and I've normally arranged a skype call).  Yesterday we had a power-cut from 8 am until 4pm - scheduled, apparently, but speedy communication is not a strong point out here.  So the eggs in this tiramisu were hand whisked - my word, what an effort.  Anyway I persisted and the pud was made and popped in the fridge until the evening.  It was a complete success; so much so that there were no leftover portions to photograph in the morning light!  There are recipes and recipes for tiramisu, but trust me, look no further, this is the one you will use forevermore.

Ingredients (serves 6)

400 g mascarpone cheese
5 free-range eggs, separated
120 g caster sugar
pinch of salt
200 g Savoiardi or lady finger biscuits (I only had 100 g so I used 100 g of Amaretti biscuits which worked a dream)
200 ml cold filter coffee (decaff all the way for me)
50 ml Frangelico or similar
Cocoa powder

Method

1. Beat the mascarpone until it is soft.
2. In another bowl beat the egg yolks with two thirds of the sugar until it is pale and creamy.  Gradually beat in the mascarpone.


3. In a third bowl whisk the egg whites, salt and remaining sugar until it forms fairly stiff peaks.


4. Fold in the egg white mixture into the egg yolk and mascarpone mixture.


5. In a bowl lay half the biscuits.  Mix the coffee and Frangelico together and then pour half over the biscuits.  Top with half the mascarpone mixture, smooth over.  Repeat again.  Finish with a good dusting of cocoa and pop in the fridge for at least 6 hours but preferably overnight.  When you pull it out, dust it further with more cocoa and serve.


Yum yum yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment