Friday 24 August 2012

The Best Mackerel Pate. With Horseradish.

For our engagement party my hubbie rented out the beautiful headquarters of the Georgian Society in London.  It was such a fun evening with Chapel Down sparkling wine and canapes made predominately by my mother-in-law.  However, I did contribute a little with mini chocolate cupcakes and Nutella icing and mackerel pate on heart toast.  I made so much of the mackerel stuff that we were eating it in sandwiches for weeks and weeks later resulting in a 1.5 year ban...


However, I was in wonderful Woolworths the other day and coming across some tinned smoked and peppered mackerel I suddenly felt the pate urge.  I have changed the original version by adding horseradish - a completely delicious partner to oily fish.


I haven't bothered to make the heart toast but if you fancy it, all you do is use a heart cookie cutter to stamp out shapes from toast, cut the toasted shapes in half and then place under the grill, doughy side up, until crisp.  I'll write a proper blog on it next Feb...

Ingredients (serves 4)

190 g tin smoked and peppered mackerel fillets in veg oil, drained
2 tsp creamed horseradish sauce
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 dsp creamed cottage cheese or creme fraiche
3 springs fennel, feathery parts only, chopped
Salt and black pepper

Method

1. Remove the skin from the mackerel fillets, break up into chunks in a bowl.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.  Check the seasoning, garnish with extra fennel and lemon and serve with french toast or crudites as a canape or spread in a sandwich with some peppery rocket.


So so easy and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment