Thursday 31 May 2012

Smoked Houmous. Use your spices!

When I left the UK I gave my whole spice and herb collection to my brother-in-law and in doing so I realised that over the years I’d given into the temptation of buying random herbs and spices that were vital for one dish and one dish only.  Michael MacIntyre’s has summed it up rather well.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HdYS4Zri-k&feature=related.  I am determined not to make the same mistake in South Africa...


As you need sweet smoked paprika for a gulsachsuppe recipe, which I made this week, I’ve had to invent some other uses for the smoky spice.  So here is an actually rather delicious houmous that has a sweet smoky kick.  It’s a perfect for a lunchbox with some carrot sticks, or to serve with pre-dinner drinks, or even in a healthy sandwich with grated raw beetroot and carrot.

Ingredients

1 x 400 g can of chickpeas in water
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp plain yoghurt
2 tbsp tahini paste
2 tbsp olive oil
1 lemon
2 tbsp sweet, smoked paprika
Salt and pepper

Method

1. Zest and juice the lemon then put everything into a blender and whiz until its smooth.
2. Season the houmous and spoon into a serving bowl, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle over a touch more paprika.


A delicious alternative to your usual chips and dips fare...

No comments:

Post a Comment